Thursday 20 January 2011

Man with a Blue Scarf


I've just finished reading Man with a Blue Scarf - On Sitting for a Portrait by Lucian Freud, written by Martin Gayford.

Joss bought the book for me as we went to Paris together last summer to see Lucian Freud's exhibition at the Pompidou Centre.

Freud is one of my favourite artists and I found this book fascinating. I loved reading about his working routines, his complete love affair with paint, his opinions on art and where he likes to go for dinner!

Martin Gayford also wrote the superb The Yellow House so I was already familiar with his excellent writing. The Man with a Blue Scarf takes you through the months that Martin spent sitting for Freud. He weaves in conversations they had and recounts the painstaking progression of the painting. It made me more enthusiastic about Lucian Freud's work than ever. I think he captures in his paintings the essence of what it means to be human. This book helps you understand the fleshy reality of his life and work. Brilliant!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I'll need to add this to my list for books to read this year as it sounds like a fascinating read from your description. I loved 'The Yellow House' (thank you for the present!) so will look forward to reading more of his work.

Inspector Clouseau said...

Nice work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the blue Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing.