Wednesday 18 January 2012

A Year of Creative Scotland


Sorry for my Blog silence. All my spare energy away from the gallery has been taken up with house renovations. I will get there eventually (so I keep telling myself!), and it WILL be worth it in the end, but at the moment, I'm just a bit tired. It's the second renovation project I've taken on and I haven't got used to the unpredictability of it all.

Anyway, back to art - the essence of life! 2012 has been hailed as the year of Creative Scotland so it will be interesting to see what goes on around the country to mark it.

On Christmas day Jill gave each of us a journal to do a Drawing A Day to mark this year of creativity. Some of my drawings are so embarrassing when I look back at them but on the whole I am enjoying it. I think it's a good way to give your brain a different way of thinking for a short period each day.

If drawing while watching TV in the evening is good enough for Grayson Perry, then it's good enough for me. He thinks some of his best drawings are done while he's watching TV, and not actually fully engaged in either activity.

I've begun to look back at the drawings already and recollect how I was feeling or where I was when I did them: 'that was when I had loads of time to sit and concentrate on what I was doing', 'that one was drawn in front a huge roaring fire', 'that one was done when I was totally exhausted' etc etc. Really, a drawing a day is like a diary with no words and it's a pretty honest one at that.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

what a great idea! and I love that she thought to buy the whole family one - a personal activity yet also a family activity.
I remember reading that at the Grayson Perry exhibition too, or maybe he talked about it at the talk we went to?

Zoe said...

I think it was at his talk 'How and Why I Draw'. I'm so glad I went to London when that was on.