Tuesday 16 March 2010

Chris Ofili at Tate Britain

On my recent trip to London to see the Vincent Van Gough show, I was also lucky enough to see Chris Ofili's exhibition at Tate Britain.

We took the Tate to Tate boat from Tate Modern to Tate Britain.

I was so pleased that Ofili's The Upper Room had been recreated for this exhibition as I didn't see it when it was originally installed at Tate Britain from to 2005 - 2007. I loved the incredibly powerful jewel like paintings presented in a wood panelled room. The colour of each painting was made even more intense by spot lighting (which could have been installed in the ceiling in a tidier way!). You walked down a pitch black corridor to get to the room and this made the spectacle of these incredibly vibrant paintings all the more striking.

A few years ago I did an Open University Foundation Arts course and my final essay was on Ofili's Afrodizzia painting. The copy I got for the course was tiny and really didn't convey the power of the painting at all. It was such a joy to be able to stand in front of the painting and be completely absorbed by all the tiny details.

You can watch some really interesting videos about Chris Ofili on the Tate Channel.

The exhibition runs until the 16th May.

No comments: